Summer Maintenance Checklist
So, you’ve decided to experience and enjoy the summer at home this year. Whether your typical summer weather is hot, mild, dry, stormy, or humid, follow these steps to make sure both you and your home survive the heat.
Inside the Home
You might spend a lot of time indoors to keep cool this summer. Make sure everything is in working order.
- Inspect ceiling fans and make sure blades are in balance
- Repair stuck or sticking windows
- Apply spray lubricant or silicone to window tracks
- Service the air conditioner or evaporative cooler
- Change the air conditioner filter
- Have chimneys cleaned
- Check smoke detectors and replace the batteries
- Spray for insects in gaps around ducts and outlets
- Close the chimney damper
- Make sure houseplants have an adequate supply of water
- Have your hot water heater checked
- Lubricate locks, hinges, and latches
- Test your alarm system
- Have your dehumidifier checked
Outside the Home
It may be hot outside, but don’t let that distract you from the work that needs to be done on your home’s exterior.
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Repair cracks in the siding
- Touch up exterior paint
- Tune up your lawnmower
- See if you need to reseal your asphalt driveway
- Check lightning rods and grounds
- Consider equipping objects on your roof with lightning arresters
- Examine and repair caulking in windows
- Trim trees and shrubs away from home and roof
- Check for signs of termites
In the Garage
During the summer, your garage may be the hottest place in the house. Prepare it for the temperature change.
- Lubricate rolls and guides on your garage door
- Properly ventilate the garage
- Make sure the things you store there can take the heat
In the Backyard
The backyard is wonderful place to gather with friends and family during the summer months. Make sure yours is ready for entertaining.
- Survey trees for insect holes
- Replace rotted floorboards on patios and decks
- Check to see if your deck needs to be resealed
- Smooth out sharp corners on patios and decks
- Clean the pool
- Make sure the pool gate is secure and in good working condition
- Drain and clean the hot tub
- Clean your barbeque
- Inspect outdoor furniture for mildew
- Mow the grass once a week for healthy growth
In the Garden
The summer is a great time to spend beautifying your garden—and your plants will thank you for the attention during dry periods!
- Water plants in the morning to prevent fungus and mildew
- Check for bee infestation
- Weed regularly
- Trim or remove dead blossoms
- Add a fresh layer of mulch to your garden beds
Content Provided By: https://www.homeminders.com/Articles/HomemindersArticle/tabid/77/ArticleId/264/Default.aspx
© 2005-2008 Ethix Media LLC. All rights reserved.